What are the health benefits of kiwi for your children? If you always worry about your kid not getting the right nutrition then it’s about time you put him or her on superfood diet. Superfood diet must include the carefully chosen vegetables and fruits that contain essential nutrients and vitamins.
Originally known as the Chinese gooseberry, this fuzzy fruit was named kiwi by New Zealand natives. Today there are more than 400 different varieties of kiwi available and they are cultivated in a similar fashion as grapes.
Is Kiwi good for you?
As per a study conducted at the Rutgers University, Kiwi is one of the most nutritionally dense fruit, and it is a naturally fat-free superfood. Kiwi contains fiber which aids in prevention of constipation and also prevents several types of cancers. The phytonutrients present in the superfood repair DNA and they work like antioxidants, protecting the body against several types of cancer.
Kiwi also contains high amounts of folic acid that is useful for creating red blood cells, Vitamin C that helps in iron absorption and heals wounds quickly, and Vitamin E that helps in reducing the risk of heart diseases. The superfood also contains several minerals such as chromium, calcium, iron, copper, potassium, magnesium, and zinc.
Kiwi health benefits
Several studies have proved the health benefits of kiwi, for example a study in Italy showed that kids having problems such as shortness of breath and coughing at night greatly benefitted from the use of kiwi.
Those suffering from Asthma were found to get the most benefits. Also another study showed that kiwi fruits can significantly reduce blood clotting and also lower the triglycerides level. Yet another study showed that kiwi is capable of repairing and protecting body from DNA damage.
Kiwi can be used in several superfood recipes in interesting ways. It can be added to salads to add a nutritional punch to it. It can be made into a delicious smoothie, or added to your morning yogurt. Kiwi can also be incorporated into a citrusy jelly, jam, or chutney to enhance the taste.
- Vitamins and minerals: Kiwis contain a relatively high amount of beta-carotene, B vitamins such as folic acid, iron, magnesium, potassium and calcium. With one or two kiwis a day we are accordingly well supplied.
- Low in calories: The kiwi is an energetic lightweight. It consists mainly of water and has only 60 calories per 100 grams. This and the fibre it contains, which is long lasting and satisfying, make it the ideal snack for anyone who wants to keep a slim figure or lose weight.
- Good for the skin: the antioxidant effect of kiwis protects our beautiful skin from harmful influences and inhibits inflammation. Its fruit acids (hydroxycarboxylic acids, or AHA for short) also help it to renew itself. In a peeling, for example, the fruity additive ensures a fresh and clear complexion.
- Kiwis have a lot of fibre that stimulates digestion.
A food allergy such as Kiwi allergy is quite rare compared to other conditions such as hay fever. You can find out here which symptoms indicate an allergy.
Kiwi allergy as a cross allergy
How many people suffer from a Kiwi allergy cannot be said with certainty. Often there is no allergy at all when people are sensitive to certain foods, but only food intolerance. This in turn can be the result of enzyme defects.
Kiwi allergy often occurs in adulthood in combination with other allergies, as a so-called cross-allergy. Pollen allergy sufferers, for example, have an increased risk of developing a food allergy. A wide variety of fruits such as apples, pears, nectarines, bananas or even kiwis can cause an allergic reaction.
Symptoms of a food allergy
Anyone suffering from a food allergy such as the kiwi allergy can usually expect symptoms within minutes of consumption. Late reactions after one or more days are rather rare.
The exact symptoms often depend on the specific allergy. In the case of a Kiwi allergy, the symptoms are usually limited to the mouth and throat area: the mucous membranes of the mouth and tongue can become inflamed, blisters form and itching of the palate can occur. Accordingly, foods that can cause allergic reactions should be avoided.
Kiwi skin edible?
Eating kiwis in their skin is very healthy. Wash the kiwis well, remove the stalk and then cut them into strips or cubes. The taste of the skin is a bit peculiar, but complements the sweet flesh of the kiwi. Especially the rough, hairy structure of the kiwi skin might take some getting used to at first. Just try it a few times – and you’ll quickly get used to the special consistency. For a start, you can also try the golden kiwis, whose skin is much thinner and smoother.
Tip: If you puree the kiwi and its shell in a smoothie, you will hardly notice the difference.
Important: When buying kiwis, you should make sure that you choose organically grown kiwis. Conventional cultivation often uses chemicals such as pesticides, which are mainly found on the skin. In this case it is better not to eat the skin. As a precaution, you should also wash organic kiwis thoroughly beforehand.
Kiwi for dogs?
Kiwis for dogs – you should definitely consider this:
Another important component of kiwis is the protein-dissolving enzyme actinidine, which breaks down animal protein. This makes the meal easier for the dog to digest if you mix a little kiwi into the food.
However, because of the enzyme, the kiwi should not be given to the dog together with dairy products such as yoghurt or quark.
There are also some dogs that cannot tolerate the enzyme actinidine. So offer your dog a small piece of the berry first and wait for the reaction to occur.
Unripe kiwis contain a lot of acid and this is not very digestible for the dog’s stomach. That is why you should only give your dog very ripe kiwis. The riper the fruits become, the higher the sugar content is and the acidity decreases accordingly.
The degree of ripeness of a kiwi is easy to see with the touch of a finger, you don’t have to open the fruit. The softer the kiwi fills up, the riper it is. Overripe kiwis are optimal for the dog.
If your dog does not react intolerantly to actinidine, you can mix small amounts with the food without worrying. The kiwi promotes digestion and strengthens your pet’s immune system.